Written by Mike Presley
Monday, 15 October 2012 06:35
Saturday night’s Bank of America 500 saw Brad Keselowski’s lead in the 2012 NASCAR Chase shrink from 14 to seven points as the balance of the top-five made gains with half of the 10-race title fight in the record books.
Keselowski dominated Charlotte, leading 139 laps of the 334-lap race. He finished 11th after the Blue Deuce ran out of fuel while leading with 58 to go.
Five-time champ Jimmie Johnson’s moved to within seven points of Keselowski with his third-place finish at Charlotte while Denny Hamlin, who finished second and is currently third in the Chase, now trails by 15 markers.
Charlotte winner Clint Bowyer made the biggest gain and now rides fourth, 28 points back. Kasey Kahne picked up one point on Keselowski Saturday night and sits fifth in the standings.
With five races left before the championship is decided it is pretty much shaping up to be a four way battle as the Sprint Cup Series heads to Kansas Speedway next weekend.
2012 Chase for the Sprint Cup Standings
1. Brad Keselowski Wins: 5 Points: 2214 Behind: Leader
2. Jimmie Johnson Wins: 3 Points: 2207 Behind: - 7
3. Denny Hamlin Wins: 5 Points: 2199 Behind: - 15
4. Clint Bowyer Wins: 3 Points: 2186 Behind: - 28
5. Kasey Kahne Wins: 2 Points: 2179 Behind: - 35
6. Greg Biffle Wins: 2 Points: 2171 Behind: - 43
7. Martin Truex Jr. Wins: 0 Points: 2165 Behind: - 49
8. Tony Stewart Wins: 3 Points: 2164 Behind: - 50
9. Jeff Gordon Wins: 2 Points: 2164 Behind: - 50
10.Kevin Harvick Wins: 0 Points: 2158 Behind: - 56
11.Matt Kenseth Wins: 2 Points: 2147 Behind: - 67
12.Dale Earnhardt Jr. Wins: 2 Points: 2128 Behind: - 86
MORE NASCAR NEWS